Last Updated: June 11, 2010
Please read the Terms carefully. We reserve the right to change the Terms at any time, effective immediately upon posting on the Site. Your continued use of the Site after any posted modification to the Terms indicates your acceptance of the modification. If you do not agree with the Terms, do not use the Site.
The terms "we", "us", “our”, and "MetroMarks" refer to MetroMarks.com. A "user" is someone who accesses, browses, crawls, scrapes, or in any way uses the Site. The terms "you" and "your" refer to you, as a user of the Site.
"Content" means text, images, photos, audio, video, and all other forms of data or communication. "Your Content" means Content that you submit or transmit to or through the Site, such as bookmarks, city and URL suggestions, invitations, and information that you display as part of your account profile. "User Content" means Content that users submit or transmit to or through the Site. "MetroMarks Content" means Content that we create and make available on the Site. "Third Party Content" means Content that is made available on the Site by parties other than MetroMarks or its users, such as data providers who license data to MetroMarks for use on the Site. "Site Content" means all of the Content that is made available on the Site, including Your Content, User Content, Third Party Content, and MetroMarks Content.
The names, images and logos identifying the owner or third parties and their products and services are proprietary marks of the owner and/or third parties. Nothing contained herein shall be construed as conferring by implication, estoppel or otherwise any license or right under any trade mark or patent of the owner, or any other third party. Excluding the aforementioned, we own the MetroMarks Content, including but not limited to visual interfaces, interactive features, graphics, design, compilation, computer code, products, software, aggregate user review ratings, and all other elements and components of the Site excluding User Content and Third Party Content. We also own the copyrights, trademarks, service marks, trade names, and other intellectual and proprietary rights throughout the world (the "IP Rights") associated with the MetroMarks Content and the Site, which are protected by copyright, trade dress, patent, trademark laws and all other applicable intellectual and proprietary rights and laws. As such, you may not modify, reproduce, distribute, create derivative works or adaptations of, publicly display or in any way exploit any of the MetroMarks Content in whole or in part except as expressly authorized by us. Except as expressly and unambiguously provided herein, we do not grant you any express or implied rights, and all rights in and to the Site and the MetroMarks Content are retained by us.
Use of the Site
We grant you permission to use the Site subject to the restrictions in these Terms. In using the Site, you may be exposed to Content that is offensive, indecent, inaccurate, objectionable, or otherwise inappropriate. MetroMarks does not endorse such Content, and cannot vouch for its accuracy.
You may not use the Site if you are under thirteen (13) years of age. If you use the Site on behalf of a company, entity, or organization, you must be an authorized representative with the authority to bind it to the Terms (which authority you hereby exercise).
We reserve the right to modify, update, or discontinue the Site at our sole discretion, at any time, for any or no reason, and without notice or liability.
We reserve the right to exercise whatever lawful means we deem necessary to prevent unauthorized access to or use of the Site, including, but not limited to, technological barriers, IP mapping, and contacting your Internet Service Provider (ISP) regarding such unauthorized use.
Restrictions of Use
You agree that you will not, and will not assist or enable others to:
- use the Site to threaten, stalk, defraud, incite, harass, or advocate the harassment of another person, or otherwise interfere with another user's use of the Site;
- use the Site to submit or transmit spam, chain letters, contests, junk email, pyramid schemes, surveys, or other mass messaging, whether commercial in nature or not;
- use the Site for promotional or commercial purposes, except as expressly allowed in writing by MetroMarks;
- use the Site for keyword spamming or to otherwise attempt to manipulate natural search results;
- use the Site to promote bigotry or discrimination against protected classes;
- use the Site to violate any third-party right, including any breach of confidence, copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, moral right, privacy right, right of publicity, or any other intellectual property or proprietary right;
- use the Site to submit or transmit pornography or illegal content;
- use the Site to solicit personal information from minors or to harm or threaten to cause harm to minors;
- use the Site in violation of the Terms or any applicable law;
- modify, adapt, appropriate, reproduce, distribute, translate, create derivative works or adaptations of, publicly display, sell, trade, or in any way exploit the Site or Site Content (other than Your Content), except as expressly authorized by MetroMarks;
- reverse engineer any portion of the Site, except as may be permitted under the law;
- remove or modify any copyright, trademark or other proprietary rights notice on the Site or on any materials printed or copied off of the Site;
- record, process, or mine information about other users;
- use any robot, spider, site search/retrieval application, or other automated device, process or means to access, retrieve, scrape, or index the Site or any Site Content;
- access, retrieve or index the Site for purposes of constructing or populating a searchable database of business listings;
- reformat or frame any portion of the Site;
- take any action that imposes, or may impose in our sole discretion, an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on MetroMarks’ technology infrastructure;
attempt to gain unauthorized access to the Site, user accounts, computer systems or networks connected to the Site through hacking, password mining or any other means; use the Site or any Site Content to transmit any computer viruses, worms, defects, Trojan horses or other items of a destructive nature (collectively, "Viruses"); use any device, software or routine that interferes with the proper working of the Site, or otherwise attempt to interfere with the proper working of the Site; make excessive traffic demands; use the Site to violate the security of any computer network, crack passwords or security encryption codes; disrupt or interfere with the security of, or otherwise cause harm to, the Site or Site Content; remove, circumvent, disable, damage or otherwise interfere with any security-related features of the Site, features that prevent or restrict the use or copying of Site Content, or features that enforce limitations on the use of the Site.
To use some of the features on the Site, you may be required to create an account and provide information about yourself to us. You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your account password. You are also responsible for all activities that occur in connection with your account. You agree to notify us immediately of any unauthorized use of your account. We reserve the right to close your account at any time for any or no reason. There are two (2) types of accounts:
- A "Personal Account" is an account for your personal, non-commercial use only. In creating a Personal Account, we ask that you provide complete and accurate information about yourself to bolster your credibility as a contributor to the Site. You may not impersonate someone else (e.g., adopt the identity of a celebrity or your next-door neighbor), provide an email address other than your own, or create multiple Personal Accounts.
- A "Business Account" is an account to be used solely for the purpose of representing your business on the Site. In creating or updating a Business Account, you must be an authorized representative of the business in question, and you must provide complete and accurate information about yourself and the business you represent. You may not provide an email address that is not your own or create multiple Business Accounts for the same business.
Permission to Use Your Content
We may use Your Content in a number of different ways, including displaying it on the Site, reformatting it, incorporating it into other works, creating derivative works from it, promoting it, distributing it, and allowing others to do the same in connection with their own websites and media platforms ("Other Media"). As such, you irrevocably grant us permission to use Your Content for any purpose. You also irrevocably grant the Site's users and the users of any Other Media the right to access Your Content in connection with their use of the Site and any Other Media. Finally, you irrevocably waive, and cause to be waived, any claims and assertions of moral rights or attribution with respect to Your Content.
Responsibility for Your Content
You alone are responsible for Your Content. You assume all risks associated with Your Content, including anyone's reliance on its accuracy, completeness or usefulness, or any disclosure by you of information in Your Content that makes you personally identifiable. You represent that you own, or have the necessary permissions to use, and authorize the use of, Your Content as described herein. You may not imply that Your Content is in any way sponsored or endorsed by MetroMarks.
You may expose yourself to liability if, for example, Your Content violates any third-party right, including any copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, moral right, privacy right, right of publicity, or any other intellectual property or proprietary right; contains material that is false, intentionally misleading, or defamatory; contains material that is unlawful, including illegal hate speech or pornography; exploits or otherwise harms minors; or violates or advocates the violation of any law or regulation.
Use of Content
We may remove or reinstate User Content from time to time at our sole discretion. We have no obligation to retain or provide you with copies of Your Content, nor do we guarantee any confidentiality with respect to Your Content.
MetroMarks and its licensees may display advertisements and other information adjacent to or included with Your Content on the Site and Other Media. You are not entitled to any compensation for such advertisements. The manner, mode and extent of such advertising are subject to change without specific notice to you.
Reporting Claims of Infringement and Copyright Dispute Resolution
MetroMarks has adopted the following procedures and policies to handle copyright infringement notifications in accordance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act ("DMCA"). Upon receiving notice of a potential copyright infringement claim, MetroMarks will remove or disable access from the Site the alleged infringing content if such notice complies with the requisite elements under the DMCA. Further, if a user is found to be a repeat offender, MetroMarks may terminate their user account.
Procedure for Reporting Copyright Infringements
If you are a copyright owner or agent thereof, and believe that your copyright is being infringed in connection with the Site, please send a written notification to the Designated Agent detailing the alleged infringement. Your written notification must include:
- Identification of the copyrighted work that you claim has been infringed;
- Identification of the Content on the Site that allegedly infringes upon the copyrighted work at issue, and information reasonably sufficient to permit MetroMarks to locate such Content;
- A statement by you that you have a good faith belief that the use of the Content identified in your notice in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law;
- A statement by you that you attest, under penalty of perjury, that the information in your notice is accurate and that you are the copyright owner or authorized to act on the copyright owner's behalf; and
- Your physical or electronic signature, together with your contact information (address, telephone number and, if available, email address).
Please note that MetroMarks may, at its sole discretion, send a copy of such notices to third parties for publication. For example, your letter (with personal information removed) may be forwarded to Chilling Effects (http://www.chillingeffects.org) for publication. Please note that you may be subject to liability under Section 512(f) of the DMCA if you materially misrepresent that content on the Site infringes your copyright.
Procedure to Supply a Counter-Notice to the Designated Agent
If you believe that Content has been mistakenly removed from the Site pursuant to this DMCA policy, you may send a written counter-notice to the Designated Agent including the following:
- Identification of the Content that was removed, and the location on the Site where it would have been found prior to its removal;
- A statement under penalty of perjury that you have a good faith belief that the Content was removed as a result of a mistake or misidentification;
- A statement that you consent to the jurisdiction of the Federal District Court for the judicial district in which your address is located, and that you will accept service of process from the person who provided notification under 512(c)(1)(C) or an agent of such person; and
- Your physical or electronic signature, together with your contact information (address, telephone number and, if available, email address).
Address for Designated Agent
Please contact the Designated Agent at the following address:
MetroMarks Legal Department
147 Humewood Dr.
Toronto, ON M6C 2W7
The Designated Agent should only be contacted in connection with the issues raised in this Section. All other inquiries directed to the Designated Agent will not be responded to; instead, such inquiries should be made through the procedures referenced in the “Contacts and Violations” section below.
We may terminate or suspend your account or ability to use the Site, in whole or in part, at our sole discretion, for any or no reason, and without notice or liability of any kind. For example, we may terminate or suspend your account or ability to use the Site if you breach the Terms or are suspected of involvement in illegal activity. Any such termination or suspension could prevent you from accessing your account, the Site, Your Content, Site Content, or any other related information.
Other Terms and Conditions
Additional terms and conditions may apply to specific portions or features of the Site, including contests, promotions or other similar features, all of which terms are made a part of these Terms by this reference. You agree to abide by such other terms and conditions, including where applicable representing that you are of sufficient legal age to use or participate in such service or feature. If there is a conflict between these Terms and the terms posted for or applicable to a specific portion of the Site or for any service offered on or through the Site, the latter terms shall control with respect to your use of that portion of the Site or the specific service.
Links to Third Party Sites
The Site may contain hyperlinks to sites operated by parties other than MetroMarks. Such hyperlinks are provided for your reference only. We do not control such sites and are not responsible for their contents or the privacy or other practices of such sites. Further, it is up to you to take precautions to ensure that whatever links you select or software you download (whether from the Site or other sites) is free of such items as viruses, worms, trojan horses, defects and other items of a destructive nature. Our inclusion of hyperlinks to such Sites does not imply any endorsement of the material on such Sites or any association with their operators.
Disclaimer of Warranty
METROMARKS DOES NOT PROMISE THAT THE SITE OR ANY CONTENT, SERVICE OR FEATURE OF THE SITE WILL BE ERROR-FREE OR UNINTERRUPTED, OR THAT ANY DEFECTS WILL BE CORRECTED, OR THAT YOUR USE OF THE SITE WILL PROVIDE SPECIFIC RESULTS. THE SITE AND ITS CONTENT ARE DELIVERED ON AN “AS-IS” AND “AS-AVAILABLE” BASIS. ALL INFORMATION PROVIDED ON THE SITE IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE. METROMARKS CANNOT ENSURE THAT ANY FILES OR OTHER DATA YOU DOWNLOAD FROM THE SITE WILL BE FREE OF VIRUSES OR CONTAMINATION OR DESTRUCTIVE FEATURES. METROMARKS DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING ANY WARRANTIES OF TITLE, ACCURACY, NON-INFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. METROMARKS DISCLAIMS ANY AND ALL LIABILITY FOR THE ACTS, OMISSIONS AND CONDUCT OF ANY THIRD PARTY USERS, METROMARKS USERS, ADVERTISERS, AND/OR SPONSORS ON THE SITE IN CONNECTION WITH OR RELATED TO YOUR USE OF THE SITE AND/OR ANY METROMARKS SERVICES. YOU ASSUME TOTAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR USE OF THE SITE AND ANY LINKED SITES. YOUR SOLE REMEDY AGAINST METROMARKS FOR DISSATISFACTION WITH THE SITE OR ANY CONTENT IS TO STOP USING THE SITE OR ANY SUCH CONTENT. THIS LIMITATION OF RELIEF IS A PART OF THE BARGAIN BETWEEN THE PARTIES
The above disclaimer applies to any damages, liability or injuries caused by any failure of performance, error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, computer virus, communication line failure, theft or destruction of or unauthorized access to, alteration of, or use, whether for breach of contract, tort, negligence or any other cause of action.
MetroMarks reserves the right to do any of the following, at any time, without notice: (1) to modify, suspend or terminate operation of or access to the Site, or any portion of the Site, for any reason; (2) to modify or change the Site, or any portion of the Site, and any applicable policies or terms; and (3) to interrupt the operation of the Site, or any portion of the Site, as necessary to perform routine or non-routine maintenance, error correction, or other changes.
MetroMarks is not responsible for the products, services, actions, or failure to act of any third party in connection with or referenced on the Site. Without limiting the foregoing, you may report the misconduct of users and/or third-party advertisers or service and/or product providers referenced on or included in the Site to MetroMarks by contacting us through the procedures referenced in the “Contact and Violations” section below. MetroMarks may investigate the claim and take appropriate action, at its sole discretion.
Limitation of Liability
EXCEPT WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW, IN NO EVENT WILL METROMARKS BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY INDIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL, EXEMPLARY, INCIDENTAL, OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING IN ANY WAY TO THIS SITE OR ANY LINKED SITES, INCLUDING LOST PROFITS, EVEN IF METROMARKS HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
You agree to indemnify and hold MetroMarks, its officers, directors, shareholders, predecessors, successors in interest, employees, agents, subsidiaries, affiliates and other partners harmless from any demands, loss, liability, claims or expenses (including attorneys’ fees) made against MetroMarks by any third party due to or arising out of or in connection with your use of the Site, including your use of the Site to provide a link to another site or to upload content or other information to the Site.
Violation of the Terms
You agree that monetary damages may not provide a sufficient remedy to MetroMarks for violations of these Terms and you consent to injunctive or other equitable relief for such violations.
By using or visiting the Site, you agree that the laws of the Province of Ontario, without regard to principles of conflict of laws, will govern these Terms and any dispute of any sort that might arise between you and MetroMarks.
If any term or other provision hereof is determined by any court of competent jurisdiction to be invalid, illegal, or unenforceable in whole or in part by reason of any applicable law or public policy, and such determination becomes final and non-appealable, such term or other provision will remain in full force and effect to the fullest extent permitted by law, and all other terms and provisions hereof will remain in full force and effect in their entirety.